About Oceans2Earth

My photo
Oceans2Earth strives to assist with local solutions to global problems. O2E was founded in Melbourne, Australia in 2010 for the purpose of providing resources and financial assistance to animal welfare and conservation projects including elephant sanctuary land in Kenya, cat and dog rescue in Africa and community recycled product projects in Asia and Africa. The O2E Foundation aims to facilitate people’s awareness of the impacts of animal tourism, trade and human intervention on the welfare, sustainability and general health of wildlife populations.

Tuesday 22 November 2011

POST ONE – Yes Nairobi gets cold!

Our CEO, Tracy, is in Nairobi right now and we'll be posting her chronicles to keep you (our awesome readers) updated so ready on we go!



I didn't think Nairobi got cold. The last two mornings are about 12 degrees! By 1pm it was about 28. Freezing!

Had an unreal day. Hung out with Sisqo my guide and driver took me around Nairobi some more, places where tourists don't go. We went to an orphanage in a slum, had lunch in a place where you wash your hands on the way in then eat with your fingers. A whole fish no less! You put all the ones on the table! $7 for 2 whole tapioki with the local maize dish and two ginger drinks. Place was full of business people.


A lot of people stare at me but it’s not a concern. Some get a real shock if they see me up close at the last minute and almost jump. Some don't care, some stare till I go by or drive by, have only been called sissy meaning sister once and honey once. Everyone is so nice.

Sisqo took me to the largest open air market and we trudged through mud so he could show me around and try on cardigans. That's him trying in cardigans by the way! We got stuck in the rain. I got huddled into a shop, given a seat and three guys in their 20s all sat around and asked me questions while Sisqo tried on cardigans. Very funny.
When we left the market boys in their teens wash your shoes of the mud for 10 shillings, about 10 cents. It was raining so they had taken cover but when they saw me – tourist - they made a run for me. I had 3 boys cleaning my shoes and the mud up my jeans with rags. It was frantic.. About 8 others tried to get in and Sisqo got a clean up too. Gave them 100 shillings to share. Even the locals were hysterical and we were all laughing together.

Visit:- http://oceans2earth.org/all-projects

No comments:

Post a Comment